How to Use This Guide
This guide is meant to take you from start to finish. Look at ALL THREE TABS. Information is not repeated across tabs. Each tab has different resources that you should look at. Check each one to make sure you haven’t forgotten about a great resource.
If you need additional help, please contact the Reference Desk by phone at (904) 680-7612 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also meet with any of the Librarians individually.
Searching the Catalog or Internet
How to formulate a keyword search:
A general search for transportation will bring up over 300 results in the LTC's catalog! To narrow your search, begin by narrowing your topic. For example, you could search for maritime transportation. You can also narrow your search by geography.
If you need assistance formulating a search, see the Advanced Research Tab or ask a reference librarian: we're here to help!
Have you ever found a resource and thought "can I use this?" Well, here are a few guidelines to see if the resource you found is a quality resource.
- Check the date.
- How current is it?
- Is it possible the law or fact changed since then?
- Check the author/corporation.
- What are the author's affiliations?
- Is s/he an expert in the area, or just someone who wrote one article on the subject?
- If it's a corporation, what is the corporation's interest in the subject?
- Check the publication itself.
- Was the source peer-reviewed?
- Is the source available in print from a major publisher or online through a trusted database?
- Check for relevancy.
- Does the source provide information relevant to your research?
- Does the source cite other sources?
Beginning Your Research
Select your jurisdiction.
- Are you looking for United States federal law or foreign law or international law (law created between nations)?
United States federal statutes are very broad, so you will also have to look at the regulations.
- Some search terms to consider are:
- law sea
- ocean freight forwarders
- international trade
- business logistics